Monday, April 13, 2009

A Nike Easter



Easter is always a special day for believers as we celebrate the Resurrection. As most of you know we actually celebrate the Resurrection every Sunday (the day of the week when Christ rose from the grave). I really enjoyed preparing the message “A NIKE Easter.” As I mentioned in the sermon, the word “NIKE” means “victory,” and it is used five times in the New Testament. The main passage is found in I Corinthians 15, which is called by many Bible Commentaries the “Resurrection Chapter.”

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory [Greek Nikos].
55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory [Greek Nikos]?
56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory [Greek Nikos] through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

I love the way verse 58 expresses what the “victory” we have in Jesus should mean. We should be “steadfast” in the faith. We should “always abound” in the work of the Lord. So many Christians do not respond correctly by “serving the Lord.”

The message flowed well from the presentation from our choir. In fact, today I continue to sing the chorus: “How can I keep from singing Your praise? How can I ever say enough? How amazing is Your love? How can I keep from shouting Your name?” I’m hoping that those who were in services on Sunday will invite their friends to our “Friend Day” on April 26th.

"Oh, Victory in Jesus, My Savior for ever!!"

No comments: